May, 2021A 110-year-old former church has become part of the Malaghans Road
landscape, between Queenstown and Arrowtown.
The building was bought from the Waikaka Presbyterian Church parish,
in Eastern Southland, by Malaghans Investments Ltd owner Brett
Giddens has Queenstown council approval to convert the building into
office space for his Town Planning Group business.
The church was trucked 170km from Waikaka in March to its new site
near Coronet Peak Station Rd, and will be restored and adapted to its
new use over winter.
The 160 square metre buildings 6.9m to the top of the roof, with finials
to about 8.5m, and features a bell tower.
Independent commissioner Wendy Baker considered the companys
application for resource consent and gave her approval in February,
considering any adverse effects would be no more than minor and,
given the small scale of the activity, commercial use of the building
wouldnt have a noticeable adverse effect on road users.
The church was decomissioned by the Waikaka parish last year, and
Gores Ensign newspaper reported parish session clerk Jim Weir saying
the sale saved the parish from having to upgrade or demolish the
Source: Otago Daily Times
+64 27 444 1104